Monday, October 24, 2011

Random Musings...



This is Hannah and I at a "Texas Country Hoedown" sponsored by Houston First Baptist. All your cowgirl jokes were materialized by this event! =)

For my birthday, Lydia gave me the book " One Thousand Gifts". Unlike my usual way of reading books, I'm trying to slowly and methodically go through this one. Last night before bed I read a paragraph that went like this (I wish I could quote the whole page but it would be way too long):

"Rejecting joy to stand in solidarity with the suffering doesn't rescue the suffering. The converse does. The brave who focus on all things good and all things beautiful and all things true, even in the small, who give thanks for it and discover joy even in the there and now they are the change agents who bring fullest Light to all the world"

It was thought provoking for me. How often I withhold joy and thanks until I sense that everything is "OK" with the world and loves ones around me. My way of thinking goes, how can I rejoice and give thanks when dear ones are struggling and children are going hungry? And I guess one simple reason is that God commands it. And I do Him much dishonor by failing to submit in this area. This book deals almost entirely with the issue of "giving thanks". If you are looking for an out-of-the-ordinary, thought provoking book, I recommend this one! (even though I'm only on chapter 4)

And on another random note, I think the "cowboy" jokes are hilarious and I know that people say them in good humor. But just to be clear, I didn't move with the sole intention of finding a guy and getting married. Granted, like most girls, I do want to get married, but I would be crazy to assume that by moving to a new location, that will automatically happen. I'm very much aware that eventually my time here will come to an end and I'll likely want to move back home...possibly without ever having a relationship with a guy here. I guess what I'm saying is that I simply don't know how God will orchestrate that part of my life. He could be here...he could be in Vermont for all I know...it's not up to me to make it happen, but it's my hope and prayer that God will use this season of my life and my unique time here in Texas to develop me into the person He wants me to be. But don't worry, it won't offend me if the cowboy jokes continue =)

And lastly, I've been eaten alive by mosquitoes! It's absolutely crazy for this to be happening in October. I must admit the FB statuses about the wonderful northwest Fall you guys are having make me quite homesick. But that's ok. I'll get my fill of cold weather when I come back in December. Can't wait!

4 comments:

Abbie said...

Look how darling you are in your cowgirl getup!?

You are sorely missed here. Fall is not the same without Kelsey to share it with! Can't wait for December. :)

P.s. Loved this post. You have such a great outlook on your time in Texas.

Britty Mac said...

You are ADORABLE!!!! :D How fun! So glad to hear you're having a good time!

Annie said...

This is an answer to my prayers that you would have a sweet settling-in time in Texas and a fruitful ministry there to all the people you come across...from Ari to church friends to random people on the subway!

Love you...and also...LOVE that book you are reading! Soo good! <3

Lydia Lee said...

Aww, Kels, I am sooo incredibly happy for you that you're enjoying your time in Texas (and looking super cute down there, too, I might add! ;), and that God is bringing you blessing through "One Thousand Gifts." I think I need to re-read it again, just because I need to be reminded of those things daily.

I'm still praying for you dear friend, that God would continue to open your eyes to all the possibilities that He has for you down South, and that He'll use you in great & amazing ways there.

Hahaha, and you're not the only one getting cowboy jokes thrown her way these days ... :P