It’s different
than baby-sitting, playing with kids, or simply going on fun outings. While
nannying includes all that, there is a different element to it when you are
with a child continual during the working hours of a week. Wherever you go, they go. Whatever you are
doing, you better be prepared to break it down to a small task that an eager
two year old can help with. You start to
realize which words you have a habit of overusing. How? Because a certain
little girl parrots them back at you in her everyday chatter. If I’m sick, I
have to pretend that a band aid or a get-well kiss makes me “all better”
because she can’t handle the reality that sometimes I’m not “happy”. Any man
who is in a quarter mile radius *will* notice me. How could they not when she
is belting out “It’s a MAN! Kelsey! It’s a nice, good man!”. And my
self-confidence should never be in jeopardy when I get a steady dose of “You’re
so beautiful” or “Kelsey! I love you!”.
There are the draining moments that come with being Ari’s nanny. I swear my neighbors must get tired of me
saying every day at the stairwell leading up to our apartment: “Ari. PLEASE
hurry! You don’t need to pick any more acorns. Come one. Hurry up the stairs”
(often the intensity of my commands is due to carrying an armload of groceries
that is threatening to topple over). Every morning when I do my hair and makeup,
she gets to play in my room. And almost every day she trashes it. (but at least
it keeps her occupied!)
On Wednesday, I
had my other little girl with me all day – five month old Ava Grace. I needed some ingredients for dinner so I
packed everyone up and drove half a mile away to the grocery store. I hadn’t gone shopping with the two of them
together yet. I wasn’t sure how people
attach the baby carrier to the cart. (Here in the south, they call the carts
“buggies”. Isn't that funny?!) Do I set the whole carrier in the cart or rest it in
the front area? I remember at times seeing carts with a baby seat already attached, so
I decided to bank on that and leave Ava’s carrier in the car. But I soon realized that no such carts were
to be found. “Hmmm, Kimi says that Gwen sits in the cart by herself. How old is
Gwen? Maybe Ava can do it!” I thought to myself. Since the metal cart looked so harsh in
comparison to sweet, chubby little Ava, I first put her blanket down to soften
it up a bit. I carefully put Ava in the front seat of the cart and all it took
was a second or two of watching her wobble back and forth for me to realize
that she was way too young for that.
Slightly embarrassed with myself, I picked her up, grabbed a basket, and
had Ari grab one too. What entailed was a slightly stressful but mostly
humorous shopping trip. I told Ari what
to take off the shelf and tried to keep the lighter stuff in her basket. She
was quite proud of herself and kept repeating over and over and over again how
strong she was. But that wasn’t enough – she wanted me to repeat all that to
Ava (she’s not narcissistic or anything like that, Lol) Ava was an angel the
whole time – snuggling up to me and gaining the affection of the workers and
customers. We made it home safe and sound and now I’ll be a bit smarter on our
next shopping trip. =)
5 comments:
I *love* hearing about your daily life down there with Ari and Ava! I was laughing so hard reading about Ari's quest for a good guy for you and your attempts to get Ava into the cart :)....ah, how I miss you! <3
Hahahaha! Ohhh I love reading about your adventures, Kels ... thank you for telling your stories and giving a little glimpse into your life down there. You must be the bestest auntie in the world. :)
“It’s a MAN! Kelsey! It’s a nice, good man!” HAHAHAHAHAHA
Haha, Gwen just started sitting in the carts by herself about three weeks ago. I think Ava has a little ways to go yet. Gwen also holds on with all her strength to the cart rail otherwise she would tip! Love hearing your updates. :)
Wonderful update!! "Its a man!" Ha!!!! Yes that is what we all feel like when we notice anyone that looks eligible :) Sooo darling that she is looking out for you.
I would have done the same thing with Ava! I would have tested it and realized I was totally ignorant :) Soo have had those moments before.
Post a Comment