Enjoying Easter Sunday with the tiniest addition to our familyI remember dreading the day when I would be the oldest child at home. It was a horrible thought. Growing up with 4 siblings older than me, I enjoyed the security that came with not being the oldest one at the house. There was someone to look up to and share the weight of the challenges and joys of family life with. And now, at random times, it strikes me. I am the oldest now! It's like it quietly snuck up on me...one by one my siblings leaving until now it is me at the top. Life is different now than when we all were at home, but I've found that I quickly adjust to the changes. So much so that I find I often lose sight of what life was like before. We DID use to all ride together to church. We did use to stay up late talking before bed. I wasn't always the only one arriving home from work at the end of the day. The saturday house chores were spread out between more people than just Kaylie and I. There were two extra leaves in our table. I used to go on walks with Kristi; not just Trixie the dog. And so on it goes. But I'm not complaing. Life isn't bad now and everything before was great. Not at all. There were unique problems and discouragments at those times, which have since been resolved or replaced with a different ones. Life just changes is all. And surprisingly, being the eldest at home isn't as bad as I made it out to be. In fact it seems...normal. I do terribly miss my sisters and the company they provided. And some evenings are more lonely than former ones. But I wouldn't dare change a thing. I have four wonderful new brothers, one adorable niece, still six siblings, and a God who plans out our days and knows the hairs on my head. I am blessed.
5 comments:
Isn't it crazy how subtly life changes without us even realizing it? I remember when I was in England and heard that Lisa & Theo were moving out, and I was so incredibly sad about it, because everything would be different ... and now it is hard for me to remember what that was like having them live here with us!
And it's so true ... I used to hate change, but now I see that God brings great things through change as well, no matter how hard the changes might initially be. How hard it was for us to imagine being adults when we were little girls ... but at last we're here, Kelsey! And I think you make a wonderful "oldest sister at home"! Love you ever so much!! <3 Lydia
Beautifully written, Kelsey! I can't imagine watching all my siblings leave the house one-by-one. Bittersweet for sure. Looks like you're doing a great job filling the oldest-sibling spot. =) Love you!
Ditto to what Abbie said! Our good God gives us so much grace for whatever new experiences or challenges we face, though I often have to keep preaching that truth to myself at times!
I love the reflective quality about your post. Hum, i've always been the oldest, but I know the feeling of change. Maybe thinking about the change is the worst? I don't know...
I for one love coming home and visiting my sweet sisters who live there. :) Why do you think I stop by so often?!
Post a Comment