Summer is officially here. Which feels weird to think about considering
its been hot pretty much since March over here. But it is different now, in
that I’m to the point where I can only plan indoor activities with Ari. Unlike
last year, I’m not trying to brave by going to the zoo or park in 100 degree
weather - even if it is a good opportunity to get tan. It’s just too miserable …
and sweaty … and exhausting. Right now
we are at my new favorite “kid hangout”. It’s called Stomping Grounds – a
kid-proof air conditioned place where kids can play in an elaborate play area
consisting of tunnels and slides, etc And the adults can sit at one of the numerous
tables and sip espresso drinks. And in my case, write blog posts =)
God’s been faithful to provide a somewhat sporadic stream of dental
temp jobs. So far things have gone pretty well and there hasn’t been any
horrific experiences (besides getting blood splashed on my face. Absolutely
horrible, right Abbie?) He’s also
provided an opportunity to nanny a baby starting this fall as well as possibly
helping out my pastor’s family one day a week with homeschooling/childcare. I
mentioned before, I don’t foresee myself in this “nanny” position forever so I
may as well live it up as much as I can for now =)
It’s interesting to think back when I first came here and how I swore I
would never drive the freeways and how I would just take the train everywhere.
I took the plunge in January. I knew with my dental job I would need to drive
lots of different places. I also would need to make trips to the airport to
pick up visitors. I’m so glad I did. I now love driving the monstrous freeways;
much more than crowded little streets. And since January, I’ve driven a total
of 7 roundtrips to the airport to pickup/drop off people. And I’ve also
traveled more in the past 10 months than I have in my entire life. And crying
in the airport is becoming a common occurrence. Such is life now.
I've also been blown away by the love and support of our church family
over here. It truly does feel like a
home away from home. I never imagined that we would be led to such a wonderful
body of believers and how readily they would welcome us in. Just like SCBC, the love the members show to each other reminds me of the importance God puts on our relationship with our
fellow brothers and sisters in Christ (and how Acts describes the early church) Like John 13:35 says “By
this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one
another.” Only Christ can take people from all over the world, all different professions,
all different backgrounds, and give them a common bond through salvation in
Jesus. Pretty neat!
Aaaannnd …. I miss home. Some days more than others. I had a Skype date last night with Lincoln. He
gave me the cutest smile (and the rest of the time just stared at me) I miss him.
That’s all for now …





3 comments:
Loved this update! (Oh, and yes...SO relieved--and SHOCKED--that you are still alive after the blood-on-face incident.)
Awww...I love hearing what you are up to these days! Excited for new opportunities for you to minister to little kids, which you are so good at! Sending you lots of hugs and hopes of seeing you again soon! :)
I'm in awe that you are willing to babysit so many different kids! I hate babysitting! Oh and by the way soon that will be 8 round trips to the airport for you! Houston here Gwen and I come!
Post a Comment