Monday, March 9, 2009

for some reason, it struck me as terribly funny...

Abbie was over for a few hours at my house this afternoon. At one point, the two of us and my mom were chatting in the kitchen. During the conversation Abbie crumbled up her napkin and tossed it in the garbage.

If you've been to my house, you may have noticed our unique garbage can. It's the electric sensory kind that opens it's lid automatically when it detects movement and then goes on to close by itself. Quite the cool invention....until it decided to stop working months ago and now just sits there looking like a dork with its lid standing straight up.

Anyways, mid conversation, Abbie drops her napkin in.....and mindlessly pushes down the lid without even looking at it. My mom and I watch humorously as the lid slowly creaks back up. Abbie glanced behind at the garbage can with a puzzled look. She then turned back to us with a huge grin on her face and giggled "hahahaha......it doesn't close!!"

A simple moment that made me laugh...and appreciate having Abbie as a friend!

6 comments:

Shelby said...

That’s funny, that garbage can certainly has some good stories attached to it!

Historian Anne said...

Cute! sometimes natural occurances like that are wonderful!

Balvanz said...

Hehe...that was so funny. I turned back to you and your mom and heard the lid slowly come back up. Cracked me up. :)

Anonymous said...

So funny!
I can just see Abbie!!
it would have been really funny if she had done it again, like I would have :)

Balvanz said...

LOL...actually, I did start to reach for it...as they explained that it never closes...hehe

Kristi said...

It totally freaked us out when we first got it. We would be talking in the kitchen, far away from the garbage can, when randomly, the lid would slowly open. Very creepy!