It's evening time. Dishes are done, homework is up to date, and I start to get into that "wandering mood". I walk past my sister who recently arrived home from Okinawa. Love struck Kristi--I can tell she is missing Joshua. Joey is being quiet--probably contemplating his big district basketball game that is happening the following night. Kaylie is off in the family room--watching something on the tv. I walk into the living room and there it is. That grand piano that has sat in solitude ever since my older sister left again for college. I sit down. And I proceed to do what I end up doing only a dozen or so times a year. I play. The few songs that I still remember from when I was forced to take lessons. One is my 8 year old made up version of Pachelbel's Canon, which is quite horrible, but which I doubt I will ever stop playing that familiar tune. Karin still laughs at me when I say I want it at my wedding. "It's so traditional, Kels!" she says
Eventually I get bored of playing the simple same songs over and over. I open the hymn book and try to play something from it. Times likes these when I wish I knew how to play and read music. I close the book. For the time being, I will have to be content with expressing myself through the plunking of Pachelbel's Canon, Fur Elise, the Minuet, and the intro to Vanessa Carlton's 1,000 Miles. I stop playing and get up from the bench. I probably won't touch those ivory keys again for awhile. That's just how it goes. But I'm thankful that it's always there-- ready and waiting for when I need it.
10 comments:
Ah I feel guilty now...I just realized exactly how long its been since I practiced! I find it certainly is a nice way to de-stress...oh but then my poor family...they tend to become more stressed. :P You should take lessons again Kels!!! That would be great! I loved how your captured your evening in the post...simple and real life. <3
Mmmmmmmmm, beautiful. I don't know what I would do without the piano. It is such a wonderful way to unwind and relax. That's wonderful that you still enjoy it every once in awhile!
I'm so bad about keeping up with my playing too! :) I can read music okay, but I still wish I had learned how to improvise with hymns and make them sound really full. I guess it's never too late to get back to it!
Hehe...I bet my family would want me to take lessons....either that or stop playing all together =) Yes, Shelby, I pity my family too! =)
Amen. I'm right there with you Kelsey. There are moments in my life where I desperately need to pluck away on those keys no matter if my sense of rhythm and expression is enough to drive our Karin to insanity.
Believe it or not, I did hear you playing and it sounded good!
And playing hymns is like a cooling balm to an aching soul....yes dear, I DO miss him!
Isn't music wonderful? I love plunking through hymns (is that a word?) ... as long as the ending chord sounds right and leaves an echoing depth, my family doesn't run me off the bench! Just focus on those last 3-5 notes! :o)
you are right about music. It is transcendental.
Oh Kelsey, it sounded like you needed a friend! Its okay you want the same song, everyone at home teases me about being traditional and just plain boring. But, its tradition, its not newfangled!
Oh my dear Kelsey ... it's been so long since I've been blogging. :( I'm so sorry I haven't kept up on yours, but I love reading your posts whenever I do stop in!
This one is completely true in every aspect. Oh how I wish I had kept up piano lessons! I keep telling myself I'm going to re-learn someday, because I want to be able to play for my children and teach them hymns someday.
The healing power of music can never be underestimated ... there was nothing I loved at Capernwray more than sitting in the lounge with my eyes closed while someone played the piano ... or hearing it from the chapel above me when I was getting ready for morning church ... or sitting in the lecture hall after church on Sunday morning, just listening to the piano music wash over my soul that I just lifted up to God. It is so precious to me, and if I could, I would hire someone just to play the piano for me!! :)
aw...kels! I will teach you again. In fact, i would LOVE to teach you piano lessons.
And btw, -blush- I AM having Pachelbell's Cannon in D in my wedding. hehe. Ya I know how adamantly I have been against it in the past, but I have changed my mind. Zach and I decided to put it into the prelude before the wedding starts simply because a string quartet will be performning it. I tire more of the Cannon when it is a poorly written arrangment (usually for piano) of the piece. So just to clarify...lol.
Love ya Kels!
~Karin
Post a Comment