Monday, February 2, 2009

My nose is out of joint??

Saturday afternoon, Shelby and I went for a walk on a well known trail. In spite of the crisp air, the shining sun brought back memories of last summer as well as anticipation for summer to come again. We chatted as we walked down the worn path (as is quite normal for two friends to do). In the midst of a random conversation, Shelby used the phrase “my nose is out of joint”

“Wha?? I don’t understand. Nose is out of joint? Is that a common expression?” I asked.


“Yeah, it’s an expression. You’ve never heard it before?”


“No, never. What does it mean?” I asked as we stepped out from under the covering of trees and into the sunlight.


“Hmmm…lets see. I’ll explain it to you. Ok, I called you Tuesday and you never called me back. I then called you Thursday, and you still didn’t return my call. Now my nose is out of joint.”


“Did I not call you back on Tuesday??!”


“No no! I was just using an example. No you’re fine!”


“Ooh ok. Huh. Interesting! I should start using that phrase!”

I guess it’s true that you do learn something new every day! And thanks to my friend Shelby, last Saturday was no exception. So I’m curious—was that phrase unfamiliar to anyone else, or am I the only one who was clueless about out of joint noses? =)

10 comments:

Balvanz said...

Lol...I use that expression somewhat regularly. :) Although I usually say "I got my nose bent out of shape."

Anonymous said...

ha ha, i've never heard out of joint, only "my nose is bent out of shape"!! LOL cuteness!

Shelby said...

he he oh my!!! I've been using the wrong expression! Well Kels my friend...don't listen to what I say...it very well could be wrong! Oh my that’s hilarious. :P Slightly embarrassing at the same time, lol but still funny. I so enjoyed rambling through the woods with you, that was the "perfect" day!

Kelsey said...

I'm glad I checked before I started using that phrase! jk! Sorry Shelby, didn't mean to embarrass you! It is funny though!And I do like your version of it. Maybe I will just use yours instead! =D

Balvanz said...

Yeah I think Shelby's version is pretty cute :)

Stormgirl said...

I have heard the exact same thing... in fact I have used the exact same thing. So see Shelby, you didn't make it up! I love the phrase!!! :D

Shelby said...

yeah? I asked my fam..."so whats that phrase that people use?" and without me saying the wording they said the same as me! But I guess we are family so that doesn't mean quite as much does it? :P

Balvanz said...

I never said you used the wrong expression, Shelby, I just said I use a different one. :) They're both used commonly and they mean the same thing. :)

Kelsey said...

I wasn't questioning it either =) I bet both are used. I'll just have to pick my favorite, lol

hannah said...

i love it!!! im going to change the way i say it!!!