Saturday, April 9, 2011

This post was inspired by looking back through pictures Lydia took of the weekend of Kimi's wedding.


Look at us here. Our hair is done, Makeup has been carefully applied. We are smiling sweetly as Kimi's mature bridesmaids. We have it together. And that is the truth..at that moment at least. As I look at this picture, I can't help but think back over that crazy and wonderful weekend. The unforgettable wonderful moments immediately come to mind, but that one crisis soon comes to mind as well. Sadly, it is something that is not easily forgotten. So I will take you on a short picture summary of the history of what went on before the above photo was taken.

Look at us. We decided to be responsible young adults and go for a run (after taking our "running" pictures of course) We drove over to the road the Larsens live on. Shelby and I had jogged many times on their road and so I decided to take Lydia there. We felt so right spending the evening getting in shape. But before we even started to burn off a smidgen of the dinner we ate, somebody had to use the bathroom...like RIGHT away! We made it to the Larsen's house only to find that nobody was there. I assumed that there was probably an open door somewhere but I couldn't deal with the possibility of the Larsens coming back and finding us "breaking in". So plan B: Knock on the neighbors door and ask to use their bathroom. Yes, it was a little humiliating. And no, we did not get much exercise done at all.



And then there was the shortage of hair exchange. Sweet and kind Lydia decided to braid my hair. I know I don't have the thickest hair in the world but through poofing and spraying and styling it different ways I can improve on that. Putting it in a french braid is not the answer though. Upon looking in the mirror I exclaimed "I'm going bald!" Lydia was trying to be comforting when she replied "Oh no you are not! I just didn't have enough hair to cover that spot!" Thanks Lyddie. I appreciated that =)




And even though they knew the reality of having to fit into our bridesmaid dresses the next day, Kaylie and Lydia still had the nerve to eat ice cream..in front of me! They offered me some and I replied no and with a pouty face said "It's so stressful being overweight!" It has since become a favorite quote =)

And of course we can't talk about that weekend without some mention of our dance parties in the hallway at my house. As much as I would love to share that experience with you all, I will NOT upload the videos. Somethings are too awkward and embarrassing to completely share. And plus you can take my word when I say that dancing is NOT my speciality =) The funniest part though was watching my dad on the video calmly walk past us "dancers" and head to his office, (as if the commotion that was going on was the most natural thing in the world). He is so great to put up with all of us.

And then there was the idealism of "dancing in the rain". It poured the night before the wedding. Of course we were totally worried that the outdoor wedding would have to magically become indoor, but we decided we needed to embrace it still. So that meant going outside and dancing in the rain. But before we did that I had to make sure I had the right jacket on, and that I looked the right way for such an adventure... It turns out that by the time we made it outside, the pouring rain had slowed down (and we didn't get very wet at all) It was a good thought though..



But now comes the horrible part--the crisis I mentioned earlier. The memory still cuts deep. These difficult next few hours the night before Kimi's wedding can be summed up in what has since been called "The Zipper Crisis" *shudder*

Of course I was responsible and tried on my bridesmaid dress prior to the wedding. It fit...well basically. I just couldn't pull the zipper up all the way (and no, it was not because it was too small. Remember me saying no to the ice cream?) But for some idiotic reason I assumed the problem would go away. Well, as it was getting late that evening and we decided to try our dresses on one more time, it hit me that my dress was NOT going to zip up. My sisters were horrified that I hadn't taken care of this earlier. And I have to admit there were right. So after a phone call to our beloved seamstress friend Mrs Dickson, my trusty friend and my little sister and I made the trip to Walmart to purchase a zipper and thread. Problem number one: they didn't have the right color. We looked and looked but couldn't find the right kind of zipper in the color of my dress. So we compromised and went for black. We then made our way through the darkness and rain to drop my dress off at the Dickson's house for an emergency zipper fix. We got there and problem number two became apparent. "Kelsey. Where is your dress?" I looked blankly at the back seat. How could I forget the dress?? I burst into tears in the car as Lydia and Kaylie ran up the Dickson's porch and knocked on their door to explain the situation and promise that we would be back shortly with the dress. "I'll drive back with you" Lydia sweetly told me. Ah! It was all quite horrible, although we did get some laughs later on about it.

So with all that background info about that weekend, it would be natural that at the end of it all, we would be just the slightest bit loopy, right?? ;)


4 comments:

Abbie said...

Oh. My. Goodness. This post made me laugh out loud again and again. Kelsey, you are an amazing story teller! This was sooo entertaining!!! :)

Lydia Lee said...

Ohhhh Kelsey!!! I LOVED reading this!!! Soooo many memories came flooding back while reading this, and yes, I too laughed out loud, especially at your quote - "It's so stressful being overweight!" :D :D

Oh how I love you, and how I love our adventures, big or small ... every moment of that weekend lives preciously in my mind and heart. Thank you ever so much for putting up with my wacky ways [and comments about your hair ... which is always beautiful by the way!!]. And thank you for re-living this story again through this post ... I know we'll continue to talk about it for years to come! I love you, dearest friend!!

Annie said...

Soo fun to read all this little memories! Sweet friends who you can open up with, make mistakes in front of, and dance wildly through the hallways with are a real blessing! :)

Annie said...

speaking of making mistakes in front of friends... :)

it was supposed to read "these" little memories not "this"...sigh... :)