Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Car Rides With Shelby

You'll have to excuse me for being in "reminiscent mode" for my 1st two posts. Maybe it's the snow that does it to me. =) And also, since this post is about Shelby, I just had to include a message in ASL to her. Don't worry, I won't put you through it very often ;)




There’s nothing quite like a car ride with a close friend-especially if it’s Shelby. You see, car rides characterized so much of our time last year. Whether it was carpooling to WCC for our first time college experience, making the dangerous trek downtown for our weekly pilates class, or even more vividly, the 45 minute drive to SVC twice a week during Spring quarter for our ASL class. It was time in the car where we often spilled our hopes and fears, offering comfort and encouragement when needed. But as much as we discussed real life issues and struggles that we faced, these car rides where never altogether serious-- sometimes the car was filled with hysterical laughter over some happening that wouldn’t make sense to most people, but that for some reason was terribly funny to us. Or maybe the tone was quite and subdued as we made our way along the streets, or at other times, bubbly and upbeat as we discussed exciting things that were going on. And even a time or two, a bit strained, as I can remember trying to hold back tears during a particular difficult ride home in the spring. (but those times were definitly out of the norm)

There was also the occasional scream, like when I spilt food on my lap, and scared Shelby by yelping over it. And scattered amongst these drives, were those particular memories such as nervously driving to our first Deaf social, bravely trying to rescue a runaway dog that had wandered out on the road (sadly, we were unsuccessful), or anxiously pulling onto the shoulder of the freeway when my car “broke down” on our way to class (Shelby was quite the mechanic. I don’t know what I would have done without her)
I’m so thankful to God for such a sweet friend like Shelby. She’s always there to listen when I need someone to talk to, and hanging out with her is simply the best. (and FYI, being friends with Shelby means that you will get an endless supply of cookies and brownies or whatever goodies she’s recently baked.)

Thanks Shel for all the fun memories—I wouldn’t trade them for anything!

5 comments:

Balvanz said...

Kelsey that video is PRICELESS!!!

And I have many fun car ride experiences with Shelby too...most of which you've been in on.... ;)

Kelsey said...

Yes, I was just thinking about that time the three of us went to Hannah's play.....getting stuck at the border...singing "what hurts the most"... =)Aww...I miss doing things like that with you. We need to do it again sometime!

Stormgirl said...

What fun times with Shelby!!! You have great memories Kelsey, as do I. I think Shelby is an awesome person to drive with!!!

Shelby said...

oh my goodness you made me laugh and cry! Oh parking for pilates...he he yes...that was something and I'm glad that your family liked the soup! so perfect on a snowy day! WCC..BTC...SVC..."wow" is right, sure made some of the best memories there. I think that the best way to have a "bosom friend", as Anne would say, is to spend lots of time with them in the car! Oh so priceless. I miss it. We'll need to find a reason to drive somewhere sometime soon...just for the fun of it...no stress involved. :P Thanks Kels for the awesome ASL message! made my day...and thanks for being my faithful Kels. I love you!!!!!

Historian Anne said...

Having friends with whom you can share, cry with, and laugh with is priceless...nothing like it. Especially growing up together and experiencing life knowing each other well, it is something unique and blessed.